First Incubating Attempt

Last spring we picked up a trio of Sebastopol Geese and a few weeks ago they began to lay. We finally decided to hatch some eggs so I borrowed an incubator from a friend. After getting the temp just right I found it might just be too humid in there, so I’ll have to gauge humidity by how much weight the eggs loose.

I weighed up my eggs and..

They don’t all weight enough. Supposedly they should weigh 5-7 oz for hatching and 60% weigh 4 1/2 oz. Hum…

Oh, they were supposed to be rotated daily while we collected them? Oops. Luckily my boyfriend gave the goose some eggs in hopes she’d sit on them. Instead she just rolled then around. Probably should have dated them when they were laid, too. Oops. Next year?

So in the end I have three different sets of eggs: clean one from the cabinet that weren’t rotated, nest eggs that the goose rotated and several under weight eggs. We’ll see if there’s any difference in hatch rates.

That is, assuming the eggs are fertile.

That egg… Doesn’t quite look fertilized… But I can’t quite tell. So I’ll hoping my gander is doing his job. I’m a few days I’ll be able to candle then for signs of development.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s